Museum statuary

The Stanford Museum, closed since 1945, reopens on a trial basis

Community interest prompted the university to consider reopening the museum, and in May of 1951, 2,000 visitors were admitted during the two-day trial. A museum committee recommended permanent reopening, advocating for its value as a public relations tool, as well as placing it within the orbit of academic interests. The museum’s survival, however, rested largely on the generosity of volunteers, including university staff, and the Committee for Art at Stanford, which was created in 1953 as a fund-raising and membership organization.

  • The Cantor’s Museum History Timeline