Potter Brinegar organ in side chapel

Organ donor enables aural trinity

The Potter-Brinegar proffers a third layer of tonal variety at Memorial Church. This organ, constructed by Paul Fritts and Co. Organ Builders, closely imitated the 1610 German organ built by Esias Compenius. The organ resides primarily in the side chapel, though hidden, retractable wheels enable its portability. Its design is customized to recreate Renaissance music. The organ is dedicated to the memory of Katharine Potter-Brinegar, the deceased spouse of Stanford alumnus Claude S. Brinegar, former Secretary of Transportation during the Ford administration. Brinegar commissioned this organ following his wife’s death in 1993.

Bios: Paul Fritts – Director of Paul Fritts and Co. Organ Builders, the Tacoma-based firm that built the Potter-Brinegar organ, Memorial Church’s third organ.
Katharine Potter-Brinegar – The spouse of Claude S. Brinegar, a Stanford alumnus and former Secretary of Transportation during the Ford Administration. After his wife died in 1993, Claude Brinegar commissioned the Potter-Brinegar organ in her name.