Lou Henry Hoover

"Friends of Music” established

Mrs. Herbert Hoover invited a group of friends to help fund the following year’s series of chamber music concerts, which since 1934 had been supported by Elizabeth Sprague-Coolidge. Sponsorship for the concerts was generated from the Friends matching a $500 contribution from Mrs. Coolidge. Working in close conjunction with the Division of Music, the Friends of Music contributed significantly toward the Division’s transformation into the Department of Music a decade later.