Art Gallery

The Thomas Welton Stanford Art Gallery is completed

(Thomas Welton Stanford, Leland Stanford’s brother, makes a substantial gift to build a separate art gallery on campus in 1911.)

The gallery opened to house the notable collection of Australian art donated by Thomas Welton Stanford. Designed by Bakewell and Brown as the corner building of a proposed library-museum quadrangle, it has a high, elaborately carved arch at its front and an arcade along its Serra Street façade (much of this arcade will later be filled in). In addition to books, artwork, and funds used for the mail library (1900), Welton endows a fellowship for psychological and psychic research.