The following information is preliminary. Full program policies and eligibility will be available in mid-October 2020.
How It Works
- Internships are self-designed by students in collaboration with Stanford program staff. All internships must be full-time (32-35 hours/week) and last 8-10 weeks.
- Our program team is available to help students identify potential organizations that match their interests. Click here to set up a 1:1 advising session.
- Review the Host Organization Criteria to ensure that your proposed placement aligns with program requirements. Your potential host organization can learn more about their requirements on our partner resource page.
- Your host organization is required to complete a short questionnaire. Students are responsible for ensuring that their prospective host organization submits the questionnaire by the requested deadline.
- All final internship placements must be vetted and approved by Stanford program staff before a student can formally accept an internship as part of SIPA.
- COVID-19 Policies
- Interns may be required to work remotely during their internship depending on the forthcoming University policy regarding Summer 2021.
- Open to current Stanford undergraduate and co-term students from all academic disciplines. Priority will be given to students who have not previously participated in SIPA or the Lyric McHenry Community Arts Fellowship.
- Internships can only be completed during a student's Flex Term. Students are not eligible to participate in SIPA while on a Leave of Absence.
- Students must have completed two full-time enrolled quarters this academic year by the time their internship opportunity begins, but these quarters do not have to be consecutive. One of these quarters must be Spring 2021.
- Graduating Seniors and Co-Terms: Internships can also be completed dafter completion of undergraduate degree requirements
- Students are only eligible for one Stanford-funded full-time experiential learning opportunity during the 2020-21 academic year (inclusive of summer). If students choose to participate in SIPA or CAF, they will not be eligible for another Stanford-sponsored full-time funding opportunity (e.g., another Cardinal Quarter opportunity, Global Studies Internship Program, Undergraduate Research Major Grants, Chappell Lougee, full-time departmental and faculty research grants, Beagle II Award, etc.).
- Students will receive a base stipend of $5,500 for for 2020-21 internships, plus financial aid and/or a cost-of-living supplement, if eligible.
- For international students: Stipend will be paid through Stanford. Contact the Bechtel Center to review any additional paperwork/authorizations that may be required in order to participate.
- Stipends will be paid once students complete all pre-participation requirements and finalize their internship placement.
How to Apply
Visit the Application Resources page for additional tips!
All applications must include the following:
- Basic applicant info (Name, SUID#, Stanford email, major/program)
- Personal statement (as a PDF)--see instructions below
- Resume (as a PDF)
- Unofficial transcript (as PDF)
- Letter of reference from a Stanford faculty, academic staff, professional staff member, or a work/internship supervisor (current or former)
- Host Organization Questionnaire: To be completed individual representing your proposed host organization who can answer questions pertaining to the organization and your proposed internship experience.
If you need a disability-related accommodation and/or need to receive any internship information/application in alternate format, please contact the Diversity & Access Office at, at phone: (650) 725-0326 or email: email@example.com.
For 2020-21, SIPA is only available for Summer 2021 internships. Students interested in opportunities during Spring 2021 can apply for funding through the Haas Center’s Cardinal Quarter program.
- November 12, 2020: Cardinal Quarter Opportunity Fair
- January 2021: Internships in the Arts Info Session
- January 11, 2021: Application opens
- March 15, 2021 @ 11:59pm (Pacific): Application deadline
- late March 2021: Applicants updated regarding their current status. Semi-finalist interviews take place for selected candidates.
- mid April 2021: Finalists notified. Students will have up to 48 hours to accept/decline an offer.
- May 2021: Students complete online orientation and finalize internship placements.
- late May 2021: Stipends paid via Student Financial Services once internship placement is finalized.
- June/July: Internships begin
- August/September: Internships end
Meet with a Program Advisor
Our team is available to answer questions about SIPA opportunities and the application process, and can also offer advice on finding a suitable community partner.