Find Potential Host Organizations
Internships are self-designed by students in collaboration with Stanford program staff. Applicants need to identify a host organization as part of the application process. Do not leave this step to the last minute! The following resources will help you begin your research.
Contacting Potential Host Organizations
If you already have an organization (or two, or three) in mind, you are welcome to contact the organization prior to applying/being accepted into SIPA.
All final internship placements must be vetted and approved by Stanford program staff before a student can formally accept an internship with an organization as part of SIPA.
If your host organization has questions about the program please direct them to our resource page for organizational partners. Your organization contact can also reach out to our program staff for additional information.
Resume and Personal Statement
Crafting Your SIPA Resume
Resumes tell the story of your education and accomplishments. You may need to tailor the format and content of your resume depending on how it will be used (e.g. focusing on artistic achievements when applying for project grants, highlighting leadership experience when applying to administrative opportunities, etc.)
For SIPA internships we recommend using a hybrid resume format. This style blends your academic, administrative/leadership, and artistic experiences into one document.
Writing Your SIPA Personal Statement
- Think of your personal statement as your cover letter. It should speak directly to why you want to work for this specific position at this particular organization for each of your proposed host organizations.
- Carefully review the organization's website. Pay particular attention to the mission statement, history, and program pages.
- Provide context for your passion/enthusiasm for this particular industry and organization. How will this opportunity put you on track for your future goals?
- "I love film" isn't a strong point, but "I loved this film as part of this program of yours that relates to your mission and this is how this position with you which relates to my future goals" is better
- Proofread your application! Don't rely solely on spellcheck.
Need additional help with your resume or finding a host organization? Connect with one of the many Stanford staff members who can meet with you 1:1.